Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Getting to Know: Analya Cespedes

We asked one of our new favorite Quirk Represents jewelry artists Analya Cespedes a few questions to help get to know her and her process of creating beautiful, one of a kind jewelry a little better.
Here's what she had to say:
1. What is your favorite piece of jewelry to create?
Rings. I'm always amaze by the infinite ways to dress a finger.

2. Tell us about your beautiful name and where you grew up...
I was named by my father after a singer. She wasn't really famous (or even good, I'm afraid to say) but she was a regular at Sábado Gigante, the same TV show that is now made in Miami and shown in Univision here in the US. People my age in Chile grew up watching it, back when we had three TV stations tops. I was born and raised in Santiago, a beautiful and busy city surrounded by the Andes.
3. Do you have any pets?
Yes, two very cute and spoiled cats, Cucu and Pulguita ("little flea" in Spanish. She's the world's best jumper!)
There's a photo of "Pulgui" down below.
4. What is your favorite snack?
Chocolate, always, and more recently carrots. Go figure.
5. How much do you weigh? (just kidding!!!)
Cincuenta y tres kilos, aha!
6. Tell us about your bird of the month project...
I decided that once a month I was going to look at my old sketch books and make a piece based on one of my many bird drawings. It started with a ring but I've been quite busy so the projects since then have been a bit more modest. Anyways, after I was done with the first ring (in the photo down below) I remembered that my childhood bedroom had a wallpaper with birds on it. It was kind of crazy. I was able to find a photo that shows it--sure enough, you can see some similarities with my first 'bird of the month' and with some older pieces of mine (see the bird pendant). My parents remodeled the house when I was 9, and I was devastated when I realized that wallpaper was gone for good.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Analya! I have been of Analya's work for awhile since meeting her at a Smithsonian Craft show.

    ReplyDelete